The struggle is real and in this episode of Tog Talks, our amazing guest Tara Ruby talks about the struggles that the everyday photographer faces. She isn't afraid to dive into the challenges we face each day as entrepreneurs with balancing work and family life, having tough conversations with spouses, and the stress that running business can have in your life. Tara shares how she has adapted time and time again, rebuilding her business, navigating a new community, and enjoying the moments along the way. She bravely dives into a conversation that we all need to hear!
Tara Ruby is deeply imbedded into the military life, being a military veteran, a military spouse and very soon a military mom. She loves to capture portraits with a focus on motherhood, as well as our US Military. Tara is honored to have been both published and award winning at both a National and an International level with her work. Among hundreds of international publications, her photography has been shared on Facebook over 3.5 million times and featured in Vanity Fair, USA Today, Cosmopolitan, SELF Magazine, The Huffington Post, Time Magazine, and The Army Times and many more. Cosmopolitan magazine has called her work “stunning”, “powerful” and notes that her work caused “the internet to lose its collective mind”.
We couldn't agree more that Tara leaves us some mind boggling things to think about when it comes to running your photography business, and paying attention to what is important!
- Learn more about Tara Ruby!
- Like our Facebook Page for updates on upcoming Tog Talks Episodes!
- Get your FREE copy of Photography for Profit- Attract Your Perfect Clients Workbook!
- Check out the Photographer Entrepreneurs Association!
- Come join our Free Facebook Group!
The Biggest Takeaways From This Episode
- [3:55]: Tara shares one of her new favorite hobbies, talks about having more free time and the positive impact getting away from the internet can have on your life
- [8:02]: Tara talks about the challenge of running a photography business as a military family
- [9:35]: Tara talks about the emotions that come with running a business and how she dealt with challenges in her business
- [13:16]: We talk about the challenges of feeling isolated as professional photographers
- [16:49]: Tara talks about change in your business and giving yourself permission to change your mind
- [20:23]: We discuss adaptability and how important it is to be flexible with new locations, situations, and types of clients
- [21:00]: Tara gives some perspective of working as a photographer in a military family
- [25:18]: Tara shares challenges she faced with pricing in a new community
- [29:09]: Tara talks about how she uses Instagram as a marketing tool
- [35:08]: “You are your business and your business is you.”
- [38:08:] Tara talks about having a heart to heart talk with your spouse when you are running a business and the importance of good communication
- [49:00]: Tara shares her daily routine, which includes running at her own speed